Sunday, July 20, 2008

True Story

Despite how great things are going here, there are still those “grumpy-Botswana” moments when I’m just not digging it. So I thought I would tell you a little story about one of those moments just to paint a more realistic picture. . . (now you have to take into account that this is supposed to be entertaining so I have to build it up- I’m not really as bitter as I sound. By try to imagine me telling you this story- acting it out and all- and then you’ll appreciate it as I intended—I think)
So it’s Sunday and I’m heading into Silibe- Phikwe to use the internet and buy some groceries. Now I had been planning on this all week, so I wake up at 6:30 to be sure that I am all ready and waiting on the side of the road in time for the “8 o’clock” bus that will take me into Bobonong where I will then need to catch another bus to take me into Phikwe. The day is cold and windy and not one of the 340 days of sunshine that Botswana boasts of and as expected, I am waiting alongside the road until about 8:30 or quarter of 9. The bus finally arrives and luckily I am able to get a seat along the back bench with a mom and her 4 children- who I guess had never seen a “lakoa” (white person) before and had super-glued their eyelids open so that they stare me down for the entire trip- I swear I don’t think they blinked even once! Now I’m pretty used to this, but sometimes you just want to blend in with the crowd and go unnoticed- and this was one of those times. Now I think everyone on the bus, with the exception of me, was on their way to their various church services in Bobonong. This means that I was also treated to a lovely Church-on-radio program at full volume (the churches are those with the radical, scare-the-devil-out-of-you kind of sermons) and in Setswana to top it off. So I spent my morning being screamed at for an hour in a language that I don’t understand, but it is probably telling me that I’m going to hell. Great.
So now we arrive in Bobonong and I think I’m in luck because I spot the bus that goes to Phikwe already in the parking lot. So I hop on and luck is still on my side because the bus is half empty so I score a seat once again- and a window seat at that! That’s about where my luck runs out . . . turns out that since the bus is only half full, we must wait for it to fill before we can depart. Ok, still cool, I always come prepared with a book these days because I’m always waiting somewhere on someone, so I pull it out and settle in. This is when things start getting fun. A mom and her cute little baby enter the bus and take the seat in front of me. Followed a few moments later by another mom and baby who take the seat behind me, and then as if they had just seen the most terrifying thing (maybe me- who knows), the two babies start screaming simultaneously at the top of their lungs. So the infant choir practice had been going strong for about 15-20 minutes by now and you can tell the tension is just rising and rising. Now some guy (kinda old and a little creepy and smells like he bathed in cologne but forgot to brush his teeth) sits down next to me and puts his arm around me and starts all the usual “Hello Mommy. Where are you from? How is Botswana? How long have you been here? What are you doing in Botswana? Are you married?” Well, YES! That has become my answer to that question- it isn’t very effective in deterring them since small houses (a lover on the side) are quite the norm around here, but it gives me a little leverage to ward them off with. I am finally able to rid myself of that guy’s company when I am graced with another seat partner. Now I must preface this by saying that the seats on Botswana transportation are “economy-sized” at best. Two people of my size could probably be comfortable (not by American standards of a personal bubble, but still a little room to breathe). Now, for a culture that goes to great lengths to be “fat” (it’s a good thing here) and curvy and is constantly telling me that I need to eat more so that I can have a nice womanly figure, Why on Earth do they make the seats this size?!?! For reason beyond my comprehension, they do. And I have the great gift of attracting all 300+ pounders as seat mates- and today was no exception! So this whale of a woman wedges herself in next to me, despite the fact that there are still about 15 empty seats. By now, I’ve been sitting in the parking lot for going on an hour and the sun is beginning to turn the bus into a greenhouse and the bus driver is still nowhere in sight. And then, the icing on the cake—the babies (who were still going strong) end with a grand finale of projectile vomiting this curdy, white, sour porridge (a local staple) all over! Now if it was sour porridge to begin with, you can imagine how it smells the second time around! And Batswana have a fear of open windows in vehicles because “the flu” might come in . . .
It’s about now that I’m thinking to myself all I really wanted to do today was wake up, walk out of my house and hop into my Jeep, turn my music way up and roll the windows down and take to the open road for a 1-hour straight shot to Phikwe, do what I want to do and get home to Semolale before dark or worrying about missing the last bus and relax. But then I think to myself---- Life wouldn’t be nearly as exciting that way!
So instead, I pull out my ipod and put on some Bob Dylan, turn it all the way up until it drowns out all the chaos around me, and slip away to a world where everything is just right. So learn from me, there’s no sense fighting something you can’t change; you’ll only wind up with a headache and in a bad mood.
Now here’s a little food for thought. Once my mind was at peace once again, I reflected. Why is it that we the get all bent out of shape over time and schedules and all the things we have to do, as if they won’t get done if these things aren’t adhered to? In my experience, if you really want to see something happen, it will. Maybe not exactly when you want it to, but it gets done nonetheless. And sometimes those detours along the way will lead you to an unexpected adventure. So chill out and relax and let life run its course!
And yes, I did get everything done that day that I wanted to (including the last blog post that you all have probably seen by now) and in addition, my timing was just right to meet a friend for lunch in town and I ran into a friend from the clinic and we traveled home to Semolale together. So as usual, a great day!
Week 4 (July 13th-18th)
This week flew by! So much so that I didn’t even get to spend any time adding to this blog. So I will try to touch briefly on the highlights. Mostly this week was a weather mess. Cold, Wind, Rain, Sun- and sometimes even in the same day. It was like those weird summer days when you can just feel something strange in the air- only it lasted all week! Most of the week seems unremarkable. Many intended meetings fell through, which I almost expect to happen at this point. But some good things did materialize. I was able to meet with the DAC to discuss the planning of a “Students Teach Parents: HIV/AIDS Awareness Day”. This was initiated last year by the volunteer who was here in Semolale and was a huge success! So the school requested that it be organized again this year. When I took this to the DAC to try to secure funding for it, she said that she wants to see me organize an event at each primary school in the catchment area! So between now and the end of September I must organize and execute 3 of these events both here and in the neighboring 2 villages. But I am glad to have support and enthusiasm behind it, which should make my life easier- we’ll see!
I spent much of this week just organizing the next steps for many of these activities and projects. Making the necessary phone calls, trying to set up meetings, following up with groups, etc. I have enjoyed working with some of the clinic staff to improve their typing and computer skills. I have also spent some afternoons tutoring our Family Welfare Educator in Math. She is preparing to take the Cambridge test, which is the equivalent of the GED (high school diploma). I guess those years as a kid “playing school” is paying off because I really enjoy being able to teach others—and it looks like I might be conducting some lessons at the primary school in English , Health, and Cross-Culture (Social Studies).
Then there is today! Which has been without a doubt, my best day here! This morning was a little warmer than the rest of the week and good vibes were in the air to start off the morning. When I got to the clinic I found that I had finally received my first piece of mail from Vanuatu! Which is nothing short of a slight miracle! (Once I got home, I found out that I actually got 2 pieces of mail and one was a full letter!- which alone made it the best day ever!) So I was all smiles and excitement as I make my way across the village to meet with the youth group. The Department of Youth and Culture came today to meet with the youth to discuss the next phase of the youth center. This brought a mixture of good and bad news. Good news is they showed up! And so did a large majority of the youth! Things were looking good. Bad news—they told the youth that they had to cut the amount of the original grant by half! So now, they would only be receiving P15,000 (roughly $2,500). So we had to redo the budget, reducing it to the bare minimum. They also got a lecture about getting motivated and taking initiative and becoming leaders within the community, which needed to be done (and I’m glad I didn’t have to do it), but probably a little disheartening to the youth given the circumstances. Either way, things were at least moving forward. I tried to revive their hopes a little by offering words of support and encouragement, as well as, congratulating them for getting this far in the whole process- which I know wasn’t easy. Botswana is notorious for its “red tape” and making you jump through the bureaucratic hoops to get anything accomplished. In that spirit, I invited them all to my house this evening to celebrate! After lunch, I was busy preparing for the evening- baking, cooking, and cleaning. They all came around 7, along with the social worker and some friends from the clinic. We had a great time! I taught them the card game “spoons” which as you all know can get a little out of hand- they loved it! They taught me a game called “Chris 8”. Some of us attempted to play the guitar- haha. I think everyone really enjoyed themselves- I know I did! I hadn’t laughed that hard in a long while!
Well that’s the excitement for this week. Sala Sentle!
Kagiso, Lorato le Boitumelo ~Gorata
P.S. I did get to try some new recipes, but I have not had a chance to type them up. So I’ll try to get those posted for you all the next time!

No comments: