Monday, April 21, 2008

A mother's perspective

As a mother it is hard to drive your daughter to Philly and drop her off knowing that you may not see her for over 2 years. You just want to hold her, but you know you have to let her go and live her dream. Jaclyn has talked about doing this since she was in high school. It makes me proud to see her fulfilling her dreams and so willing to share herself with others, to make things better in this world.

As her sisters and me were driving back down 95, the car was very quiet for the first half hour, then we starting talking about it's not going to be that different. Jaclyn was always off traveling somewhere, whether it would be college, Australia, Italy, Costa Rica, road trip across the USA or spending months in New Orleans helping in the lower 9th ward. She was never home very long. Jaclyn has always had a hunger for new adventures, travel and a desire to help where she is most needed. (Believe me it was not at home cleaning her room.) So when we got home, we decided to see what clothes and shoes she left behind, because Jaclyn always had the cutest clothes and shoes. They were quickly divided up. (sorry Jaclyn, they would be out of style when you got back anyway.) I had the chore of cleaning her room of the mess she left behind, some things never change.

As we got back into our hectic lives, we wonder what Jaclyn is doing and how she is making out, but mostly we go on living our lives and dreams too. With all the new communications options it will be easier to keep in touch. (Look at me I figured out how to post on a Blog site.) I know it brightened my day when I received the e-mail that invited me to blog. I was amazed at her blog site, because Jaclyn was not very techy type person. I guess it is pretty easy, huh?

Well I will keep you updated with my insights as Jaclyn is off in Botswana. Jaclyn there are many wishes and prayers going out to you from co-workers, clients, friends and family. Comet was in your room last night crying, silly dog. Look forward to hearing from you and following your journey.

I love you sweetie,

Mom

No comments: