Thursday, May 8, 2008

Life in Moleps

Hey Everyone!

I apologize for the rather brief, uninteresting update but a lot has happened in the past 2 weeks and I'm not quite able to bring it all together in a comprehensive way yet. But since I have the rare opportunity to use the internet I want to take advantage and bring you up to date.

The past few weeks have been very full and interesting. I am now in my second week of my homestay. I am living with the Makwati family in Moleplole. My Setswana name is Gorata (to love). My Setswana is coming along at a very slow pace- but I have 2 years (If I don't give up first). So a typical day of training starts with a morning of Langauge with my teacher and 3 other trainees. Then by afternoon we meet with the rest of the CCB's (Community Capacity Building) to learn about the Batswana culture, how to immerse ourselves in our community, statistics and facts out HIV/ AIDS in Botswana, and a bit of reality input from current volunteers.

The days are usually very long and tiring, but interesting as we figure out how to adapt to our new environment, create relationships with our Peace Corps family, and try to get a grasps on what the next 2 years will be like.

My family includes my mother, 2 sisters (28 and 22) and a brother (18?). There are also 2 nieces (14 and 11) who visit from Gabarone and a younger boy(11) who stays at the house sometimes. My house is a living room, small kitchen and 2 bedrooms. I have a very spacious room and am quite comfortable with my double bed. My house has electricity but no running water- so I have still had the opportunity to perfect the art of a "bucket bath", use the outhouse before it gets dark, hand wash my laundry, and boil my drinking water. I am fortunant that my family gives me plenty of personal time and independence, at the same time, making me feel comfortable and at home. Usually I try to take a jog right after training and then bathe before the sun sets and it gets cold. It's winter now so it's still 70s or 80s duringt he day but around 35-40 degrees by night. The sun also sets by around 6 or 6:30 so the days are rather short. I try to help my family make dinner (or treat them to an American meal) and then settle around the TV in the living room for supper, tea (a huge tradition!), Setswana news on TV, and a variety of American and Botswana and South African/ British music videos, sit-coms, soaps, etc. Sometimes I can interest my family in playing cards or helping me with my Setswana lessons. If not, I usually get overwhelmed with the TV by about 8 and head tro my room to read, journal, do Peace Corps homework, and write letters. I am actually reading a great book right now that I recommend to all of you for a really great perspective on the AIDS pandemic from all angles and part of why I am here doing this kind of work. It's called "28 stories of AIDS in Africa" by Stephanie Nolan (I think).

Molepolole is a large village with grocery stores, internet cafe, etc. On the weekends we get to explore the town and meet up with volunteers who are staying in different wards within Moleps. I have had the opportunity to go to a wedding. Everyone is invited- just show up! It's very westernized with white gown and tux, wedding party, food, dance, and drink (a little later). I have some pics that I will try to get up soon. They have the wedding celebration in the Bride's hometown one weekend and than at the Groom's family's house the next weekend. It was very fun!

Right now, I am in a town called Mahalapye shadowing a current volunteer. I will be here until Sunday. We live with and go to work with a volunteer to get a better feel for the next 2 years of service once we get to site. My host has organized a soccer tournament for teams of women over the age of 30 along with an HIV testing event which is happening tomorrow. So I will be helping with that event this weekend and a lot of other volunteers and trainees will be coming into town to help as well, so it should be a fun weekend!

We were able to spend Monday and Yesterday in Gabarone, which is a very westernized city. Botswana is much more developed than Ghana (my only source for comparison) and this is especially apparent in Gabs. It's almost alittle surreal sometimes until I remind my fact that I'm not here for infrastructure development but instead to educate and counter this spread of HIV/ AIDS and try to curb its negative effects on the advancements Botswana has been able to make in the past to get it where it is today.

Like I said, it's not terribly detailed but a brief summary is better than nothing so this is what I have to share so far . . . please continue to send e-mails and letters (I haven't gotten any yet) I want to hear about everything going on back home! Stay well!

Love and Peace,
Gorata

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jaclyn

Nice, I didn't know you had a blog on this. Keep us posted, I'll be checking on it. Good to know you've arrived safely and are starting to make an impact already. How's net access over there?

We're rooting for you over here, good luck!
-Dom [+Cerquetti's]